Monday, December 31, 2012

Resolved: 2013

I have never been a big fan of New Years Resolutions. In fact, my lack of enthusiasm inspired one of our second semester senior shirts in high school. At Wednesday night Bible study, everyone was going around sharing their resolutions. I simply stated that I don't make them since I have zero intention of keeping them. Insert Katie with a spot on comment: Overachiever... Set your goals low.

But something so frustrating happened in 2011, that it only seem logical to embrace the tradition. In the dreaded 2011, I found myself going to Walmart... On Sundays... A lot. There is some sort of black magic that surrounds Walmarts on Sundays that causes people to lose all sense of self awareness. People stop mid-parking lot aisle to dig through their purse for their shopping list, or gum, or something else super important. People drop phrase like "excuse me," "please," and "thank you," from their vocabulary and stare at you blankly when the passive politeness escapes your lips. And while you walked in with a smile, you invariably come out like you lost the battle, the war, and your mind. Ok, I think maybe you are starting to get the picture. So in December of 2011, I proclaimed to Brandon and Summer that under no circumstance will I go into Walmart on a Sunday in 2012. (At this point, Brandon added that I will also not send him to Walmart in my place.)

Well today, my friends, is December 31, 2012. Yesterday was the 52nd Sunday of 2012. And I stayed out of that nightmare of a place every one of those Sundays! (Come on, celebrate the small things!)

So with that, I am changing my outlook on New Years resolutions. It is illogical for me to assume that I will suddenly develop a workout routine and commit to it for the next 365 days. It is foolish to think that I will instantaneously love veggies and hate chocolate for the next 52 weeks.

However - there are things that I can resolve to do in my life that will leave a lasting impression on who I am.
In 2013, I resolve to run a 5k.
In 2013, I resolve to be the best wife and mother that I can be.
In 2013, I resolve to further seek out Christ and to live for him unashamedly.
In 2013, I resolve to love people, more than I love being right.
In 2013, I resolve to make our house a home.

How about you? What does 2013 hold for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment